The 2019 Arkansas State Spelling Bee is scheduled for March 2, 2019.
Click here for the 2019 Rules for Local Bees
In order for your students to participate in the Arkansas Democrat-Gazette spelling bee program, your school must enroll with the Scripps National Spelling Bee at www.spellingbee.com . This will also serve as your registration with the Arkansas Democrat-Gazette.
•Aug. 22-Oct. 15, 2018 – Early bird enrollment period. The per-school fee is $160.
•Oct. 16-Dec. 14, 2018 – Regular enrollment period. The per-school fee is $235.
•The deadline to host a local bee is January 1, 2019.
•The deadline to host a county bee is January 31, 2019.
The fee to participate in the bee is $160 per school during early bird enrollment. The fee goes up to $235 after Oct. 15, 2018.
Once enrolled, you will receive:
• Log-in ID and password for a teachers-only area of spellingbee.com• Grade-specific word lists and study sheets for grades 1–8
• Study materials for your school spelling champion
• The 2019 Classroom Pronouncer Guide
• The 2019 School Pronouncer Guide
• Materials to conduct your Great American SpellCheck fund-raiser
• Award certificates
• Key information about your local spelling bee program
• From Encyclopædia Britannica, a free one-year subscription to Britannica Online for Kids (a $69.95 value) for use as a prize in your spelling bee program.
Funding Your Enrollment:
If there are concerns about funding the materials and enrollment fee, you may consider recouping the fee by assessing a nominal entry fee of $2 to $5. You could also ask local businesses to sponsor the bee by paying the enrollment fee, or by donating prizes or funds for prizes.