The 2019 Arkansas State Spelling Bee is scheduled for March 2, 2019. A schedule of events and
directions to the campus will be sent to you closer to the date of the event.
PLEASE NOTE: The link above is the final list of all enrolled schools. The deadline to register with Scripps was Dec. 15. If you have a school that has not registered please inform them the deadline has passed.
In order for your schools to participate in the Arkansas Democrat-Gazette State Spelling Bee program, your school must enroll with the Scripps National Spelling Bee at www.spellingbee.com by the Dec. 14, 2018 deadline. This will also serve as your registration with the Arkansas Democrat-Gazette.
• The deadline to host a county bee is January 31, 2019.
• The deadline to enter your county winner is Feb. 5, 2019.
The fee to participate in the bee is $160 per school during the early bird enrollment period. On Oct. 16 the fee will go to $235.
Once enrolled, you will receive:
• Log-in ID and password for a teachers-only area of spellingbee.com
• Grade-specific word lists and study sheets for grades 1–8
• Study materials for your school spelling champion
• The 2019 Classroom Pronouncer Guide
• The 2019 School Pronouncer Guide
• Materials to conduct your Great American SpellCheck fund-raiser
• Award certificates
• Key information about your local spelling bee program
• From Encyclopædia Britannica, a free one-year subscription to Britannica Online for Kids (a $69.95 value) for use as a prize in your spelling bee program.
• Contact all of the schools in your county to inform them that you are the county coordinator. You can find this information by using the Enrolled Schools link above, this will be undated weekly as schools register.
• Please decide specifics of your county bee by January 1 and secure the pronouncer and judges, preferably from outside your school.
• The last day for schools to host a bee is January 1. Please arrange with your schools’ contacts how they will forward their winners’ information to you.
• Your county bee needs to be held on or by January 31. Please submit your county winners by
• Each school may host its local bee in any way they see fit. However, it is suggested that they follow the national rules included in their initial packet. Additionally, you may hold your county bee in the way that best suits your county. The only firm rule is that you may only enter one winner per county in the state bee.
• Each county winner will receive an award and certificate at the Arkansas State Spelling Bee on March 2. You may want to contact local businesses or organizations to provide prizes for your county bee.
• Contact your local newspaper or radio station about coverage of your county spelling bee.
• If your winner’s family requires financial assistance to attend the Arkansas State Spelling Bee, you may want to consider contacting your local PTA for help.
We thank you for giving your valuable time to this program. Without volunteers like you, this program would not be possible. If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to contact me any time.